Monthly Studio Portrait Sessions
New studio portraits are taken two consecutive days a month at the Office of Marketing Communications in the Wesley Building. Exceptions include semi-annual faculty portrait events at other venues and summer scheduling.
We produce free studio portraits of:
- Distinguished and named professors
- Faculty Speakers Bureau participants
- Deans and directors
- KU Communicators
- New Manager Orientation participants
- Faculty and students receiving national awards
- Faculty whose activities are of interest to major news outlets or KU News stories
- Staff of the offices of the chancellor and provost
To schedule a portrait, call Marketing Communications, 864-3256. Each sitting takes 15 minutes and must be set by appointment.
Marketing Communications is in the Wesley Building, east across Jayhawk Boulevard from the Kansas Union and behind Smith Hall.
Please note: The portrait studio is accessible only by stairs, so persons with special needs should call 864-8862 about options at other locations.
For websites and other projects funded by departments, staff portraits cost $30 each (state funds). A staff portrait paid with private funds costs $43.50.
Payment by interdepartmental SOV, check or money order is required. Credit-card transactions are not possible.
Portrait days are 8:30 a.m. to noon and 1:15 to 4:45 p.m. on the second Thursday of every month. Appointments are required. Please schedule your portrait well in advance, as only 28 persons may be accommodated each session. Upcoming studio portrait days:
- Wednesday, November 20, 2013
- Thursday, November 21, 2013
- Wednesday, December 18, 2013
- Thursday, December 19, 2013
- Wednesday, January 15, 2014
- Thursday, January 16, 2014
- Wednesday, February 12, 2014: faculty only at Watson Library
- Thursday, February 13, 2014: faculty only at Watson Library
- Thursday, February 20, 2014
- Wednesday, March 26, 2014: 1:15–to-4:45 p.m. only
- Thursday, March 27, 2014
- Wednesday, April 16, 2014
- Thursday, April 17, 2014
- Wednesday, May 14, 2014
- Thursday, May 15, 2014
- Thursday, June 19, 2014"
If these days do not work for you, contact firstname.lastname@example.org about scheduling a special sitting for an individual or an extended session for several subjects.
New and returning faculty will be invited by email to special sessions on other days and in other locations.
Business attire in neutral grays or muted colors is best. Please remember:
- Bold prints and patterns tend to distract from one’s face.
- Herringbone or other weaves with narrow lines often appears distorted when displayed on a computer monitor.
- Stark white or black is difficult to reproduce pleasingly.
- Highly reflective jewelry or accessories tend to produce glare.
- Low necklines often make subjects appear barely dressed in this head-and shoulders format.
Subjects will be provided a link to a series of frames and asked to select a single preferred photo. The Photo Department will deliver by email or passcode a high-resolution, color-corrected jpeg suitable for high-quality print media up to 5 by 7 inches (300-dpi). Under special circumstances, the subject may select a preferred frame immediately after the sitting.