Monthly Studio Portrait Sessions
By appointment only, a 10-15 minute portrait sitting can be scheduled during a monthly portrait day at the Wesley Building.
Studio portraits of GTAs, GRAs, researchers (w/o teaching appts) and other staff cost $30.00 each, payable with state funds by departmental check or interdepartmental fund transfer. No credit card and cash transactions are possible. Marcom will provide an invoice, payable 30 days.
Annual portraits of the following parties are free (allocated):
- Deans and directors
- Communicators Group
- Admissions Reps
- Offices of the Chancellor and Provost
To schedule a portrait sitting at the Wesley Building, call 785-864-3256 and ask for 'portrait scheduling.' Upcoming monthly portrait days in 2016 are:
- Wednesday, January 6
- Thursday, January 21
- Thursday, February 18
- Wednesday, March 2
- Thursday, March 10
- Thursday, April 21
- Wednesday, May 4
- Thursday, May 19
- Thursday, June 16 - Deans & directors only
- Thursday, July 21
What wardrobe, etc. is best?
Business or business casual attire with neutral grays or muted colors is best. It’s wise to avoid:
- Bold prints and patterns, which tend to detract from one’s face,
- Stark white or black values, which are difficult to reproduce pleasingly,
- Herringbone or other weaves with narrow lines, which distort in a moiré pattern when displayed on a computer monitor,
- Blouses with low necklines, which often make subjects appear barely (or not at all) dressed, when the photo is closely cropped,
- Long necklaces and pendants, which may be awkwardly cropped, especially when the photo is re-purposed at a small size,
- Large, highly reflective jewelry or accessories, which produce glare.
- Just prior to a portrait sitting, Transitions®-type eyeglasses should be shielded from bright light for at least ten minutes.
- For individuals with a dark complexion, consider choosing wardrobe items with middle-to-dark brightness values. This helps reduce excess contrast.
- For individuals with a shiny complexion, consider consulting an aesthetician about the application of a properly tinted dulling powder. If this is not possible, consider using a cotton ball moistened with an astringent such as witch hazel. Since our photographers are not licensed aestheticians, physical contact with participants is prohibited.
Marcom shares an electronic proof of a small series of frames. Each participant must select a single, preferred head-and-shoulders portrait. Marcom delivers a high-resolution jpeg suitable for printing and a low-resolution jpeg suitable for web publishing. The finished portrait includes standard retouching and color correction. Delivery time averages one-to-two weeks. The portrait is also archived by Marcom.
Directions to the Wesley Building
The Office of Marketing Communications (Marcom) is located in the Wesley Building at 1314 Jayhawk Blvd., Lawrence, KS 66045. You can find us by visiting www.maps.ku.edu from the kansas union, cross jayhawk boulevard and walk along the south edge of smith hall to approach wesley, a brick building behind (due east of) smith hall. inside, ask the receptionist to direct you to the photo department (down one flight of stairs). please note that the wesley building does not have an elevator. individuals with special needs should contact email@example.com about other possible options.
Other portrait styles or venues
Portrait styles other than head-and-shoulders, special backgrounds (such as green screen) and venues other than the Wesley Building studio require advance discussion and include additional charges.