Submit KU News
A good news release is a concise, complete description that informs and invites interest.
Common News Release Topics
- Upcoming public events, exhibits, etc.
- Important staff changes
- New programs
- Changes in existing programs
- Awards, achievements, and appointments
- Research, ongoing or completed
- Community outreach efforts
- Exceptional students, faculty, and staff
- Unique programs, skills, achievements, etc.
How to Submit Information
If you have a story idea or would like to submit information for a news release, please contact our staff by calling 785-864-3256.
You can send us releases by:
- Email. Either to a specific staff person or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Campus mail. Send to 37 Strong Hall (Allow several days for delivery.).
Always include your name and phone number so we can contact you.
Some Tips for Writing Press Releases
- Keep releases short.
- Write clearly, addressing who, what, where, why and when in the first two paragraphs.
- Identify a contact person (with a daytime phone number) who can answer questions.
- Date the release and include whether the material is for immediate use or for release at a later date.
Common Press Release Mistakes
- Providing insufficient and inaccurate information. To be useful, releases must be complete, correct, and specific.
- Omission of the name and phone number of someone editors can contact with questions.
- Writing releases that are too long.
- Submitting a release too late.