KU Talking Points: August 2012
Students are being encouraged to explore campus and share what they find as part of the "Social Media Triathlon."
The event runs from August 14 to 28. Grant prizes include lunch with Chancellor Gray-Little, reserved seats for Late Night in the Phog, behind-the-scenes tours, an iPad and more. Students can also receive giveaways by checking in at participating venues.
Students will use Twitter, Instagram and Foursquare to explore — and brag about — campus. You can follow their progress with the #exploreku hashtag.
Additional details will be posted by the end of the week. Contact Justin Henning, social media manager at Marketing Communications, for more information.
Volunteer registration is now open for the KU booth at the Kansas State Fair, which runs Friday, September 7 through Sunday, September 16.
We are asking for volunteers for shifts that run from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and from 1:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. each day. (Note: Friday, September 7 is afternoon only.) You can sign up at statefair.ku.edu/volunteer.shtml.
Volunteers would be provided a KU polo shirt, admission ticket to the fair and $10 in food vouchers. Individuals or units would need to cover transportation costs and any hotel accommodations.
Human Resources has approved volunteering in the KU booth at State Fair as official work time, but your department needs to approve your participation. If you have questions about what activities are compensable for hourly staff, please contact HR.
Thank you to everyone who submitted ideas for the KU communicators listserv name. COMTalk was suggested by several people, and you can now join the discussion list by sending a request to the automated ListProc server.
To subscribe, send an email (with no subject) to email@example.com. In the body of the e-mail write:
sub COMTalk Yourfirstname Yourlastname
If you have questions, contact David Day with KU Information Technology.
- Marketing Communications will offer new faculty members free studio portraits August 28 to 30. Having a recent photograph is helpful for promoting a faculty member’s work to the media and online. The sessions will be 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. each day in the Wesley Building. No appointment is needed. For more information, contact Doug Koch.
- Follow Pinterest.com/jayhawknation for KU's official Pinterest presence. Find boards full of campus beauty, fans from all over the world, famous Jayhawks and more.
Please welcome the following individuals to KU Communicators:
- Tara Hardison, Academic Advisor, Undergraduate Advising Center
- Rachel Karwas, Event Coordinator, KU Libraries
- Kelsey Kimberlin, Photographer, Marketing Communications
- Charles Linn, Director of Communications, School of Architecture, Design, and Planning
- Kitty Steffens, Visitor Services and Events Coordinator, Natural History Museum
- Brian Schneweis, Communications Coordinator, Office of Admissions